Yes, it is time for another addition of Thrifty Thursday. Today I decide to feature a recipe that I found in the March 2011 issue of Southern Living. It is a big hit in my house and feeds a lot of people. Also, it is a recipe that can be made with or without meat. I went for the meat option because I was able to snag the sausage on sale (and the hubs loves him some meat).
Red Beans and Rice
- 1 lb dried red kidney beans
- 1 lb andouille sausage, thinly sliced
- 3 celery rids, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped ( I used Vidalia b/c I am from GA and I prefer a sweet onion)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp Creole seasoning (We use Tony Chachere’s in this house b/c it is the best in the world)
- 3 cups uncooked long-grain rice (I used brown rice, but you can use white just as easily)
- Soak the beans overnight.
- Saute sausage with celery, onion, pepper and garlic in a little bit of olive oil.
- Transfer the sausage mixture from above into a crockpot and add the beans, 7 cups water and creole seasoning.
- Stir together and cook on low for 7 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Cook the rice according to package directions near the end of the cook time for the items in the crockpot.
- Serve over the rice.
If you want to go vegetarian with this to make it cheaper then just omit the sausage.
Happy cooking everyone!